Real World Results
Millions of people around the world are now using brain training products across the lifespan for a variety of personal goals and objectives. A handful of scientifically validated brain training products have evolved to cater for specific industries targeting:
· Academic performance – to assist in remediating deficits in attention, memory, language and mathematics skills
· Sports performance – elite sports bodies are training with brain software to gain a competitive edge
· Workplace productivity – adding brain fitness to corporate wellness programs
· Age related quality of life – to sharpen up a wide variety of mental skills and to reduce cognitive decline
· Driving safety and independence – to enhance mental skills, driving performance and reduce crash risk
· Insurance – to decrease risk profiles and lower premiums, particularly for inexperienced and ageing drivers
· Clinical support – to assist with specific mental illnesses and more recently the trauma of war
Each of these areas has very specific needs and only precisely targeted interventions are achieving success. There is no magic pill that covers the entire brain and all its needs for any stage of life, nor is there ever likely to be. But there is a growing toolkit of legitimate brain training exercises that effectively targets and enhances specific mental skills.
Of course, there are many more brain training games on the market sold for entertainment purposes that have little or no scientific credentials. Proactive Ageing can teach you a methodology for filtering out these products and choosing the most relevant activities for your specific needs.
Proactive Ageing is focused on the defensible fitness aspects of this technology. Our goal is to help you build peak performance in the cognitive domains that you choose. To do this we offer a personalised training schedule designed to cater to your specific goals drawn from a scientifically validated suite of brain fitness programs that have been proven to work.
A New Category of Fitness
In recent years the amount of knowledge surrounding mental fitness has been rapidly catching up with the concepts and techniques we have been employing for physical fitness. Brain training has evolved to improve our ability to comprehend information, remember more for longer, and to think faster and more accurately. The techniques employed are the same as for physical fitness - continually building capability by identifying and measuring specific skills, employing targeted training techniques that incrementally improve each skill, then re-measuring and retraining in cycles. Training across a wide variety of cognitive skills is recommended to build the broad capability we need for vibrancy in everyday life.
Targeting Your Specific Needs
Every person is different. People generally have different backgrounds, education and life experiences. Therefore each person develops a different set of skills as they go through life. This includes quite varied mental capabilities and a different rate of learning in each of these domains.
Proactive Ageing provides a scientifically validated suite of tools that is used to personalise a training schedule designed to cater to your specific needs. Our program provides an assessment to measure the strengths and weaknesses of your individual cognitive skills. Then we develop a personalised training program that focuses on your less productive skills to more effectively expand your cognitive proficiency. But not exclusively, we still believe that a broad brain workout provides the best results. We encourage as much cross training as possible because brain training “generalisation” or transfer of one cognitive skill has not been scientifically proven. Variety is a key principle of brain fitness and Proactive Ageing provides a workout circuit much like a health club.
The cognitive skills we train are chosen because they apply to a large variety of situations and experiences in daily life. They provide greater everyday benefits than the narrow band of skills that puzzles like crosswords or sudoku offer. For a full brain workout you have the choice of training in any the following skills:
· Working Memory – the capacity to actively hold information in the mind needed to do perform a task(s)
· Long Term Memory – the ability to recall information after a period of time longer than two days
· Response Time – the speed at which you perceive and appropriately respond to a stimulus
· Processing Speed - the ability to translate information from one form into another more useful form
· Fluid Intelligence – the ability to learn new things or solve problems in new situations
· Focus & Attention – the ability to maintain your concentration on a task for lengthy periods of time
· Divided Attention – the ability to successfully pay attention to more than one thing at a time
· Divided Execution – the ability to successfully apply different actions to more than one thing at a time
· Mental Agility - the ability to redirect attention between different tasks while maintaining good performance levels
· Sensory Fidelity – the ability to discern a greater amount of detail from one or more of your senses
· Awareness – the ability to perceive events, objects or sensory patterns with some level of quality
· Association – the ability to connect ideas and/or objects in ways that make them more meaningful
· Spatial Relations – the ability to perceive how objects are related in space
· Time Estimation - the ability to estimate event durations
· Inhibition – quickly recognising and dismissing distractions not relevant to the task being performed
· Prediction – to accurately forecast a future event based on experience
· Anticipation – the ability to anticipate an outcome based on motivations
· Sequencing – the ability to order ideas and/or objects in your mind
· Planning – the ability to anticipate an outcome and mentally construct a series of activities to achieve this
· Co-ordination – the level of sensitivity with which two or more functions of our brain and/or parts of our body are synchronised (e.g. hand-eye co-ordination)
These are all different skills and need to be individually trained to attain peak performance. Just like sports coaches, who break down the activities that their athletes perform and train component skills in precise ways to minimise any weak links and attain an overall high performance. Everyone will tend to be good at some of these skills and less good at others. Proactive Ageing can assess component cognitive skills then provide you with a personalised training program that focuses in on the ones in which you need the most attention.
The Optimal Way to Train
Our brains respond best to novel and challenging activities. That is why our training programs contain algorithms that automatically adjust the level of difficulty to the user's abilities as they are training. This ensures that the most optimal training is always available. It is neither too frustratingly hard nor too easy and boring. This maximises both motivation and learning. The goal is to maintain each person at their threshold of ability, incrementally advancing their proficiency for each of the different skills that they choose to enhance. Unlike most common puzzles like crosswords or sudoku, where there is little which can be done to effectively optimise the level of challenge.
Approximately 30 minute training sessions are recommended. Feedback on your performance is available from every session and we graph results over longer periods so you can see your progression and gain confidence in the new skills you are developing.
Proactive Ageing provides a comprehensive program offering you the opportunity to train a broad range of skills. We offer accurate cognitive assessments and training activities that are personalised specifically for your needs. The training helps to refine a suite of skills continually enhancing the dexterity that you have available to deploy in everyday activities. The goal of the exercises is to improve the quality of your daily experience. Like physical fitness, brain training builds additional capacity which is then available for you to draw on in daily life. The training, although entertaining, does require some effort but the benefit is that the same activities in daily life become more effortless.
Proactive Ageing provides scientifically validated training targeting the right skills for you, with the right intensity, and the right progression. Our objective is to provide you with greater choice and greater confidence in what you choose to do in life – for pleasure and/or purpose.